Friday, February 14, 2014

"Homemade" Toasted Ravioli

So Owen's favorite meal of all-time is some freezer toasted ravioli that Hyvee (the grocery store in Iowa) carried, generic store brand. When we moved to Boston, I never found an imitation there in any of the stores, nor have I seen them yet here in Colorado. I've been promising for months that I'd try to make them "homemade" (super strong quotes here -- using store-bought regular ravioli and breading them). Tonight was the night, because Owen did a good job all week managing to eat a bunch of not-favorite meals. ("Meatloaf.... pot roast... greek chicken... what are you DOING to me Mommy?!").

Here's how they looked, basically following this recipe:


That's actually one of the two pans... I made a TON, especially considering I was only eating one or two since the sodium is sky high between the raviolis, the seasoned breadcrumbs, and the parmesan. The kids absolutely loved them. Steve was not a big fan; he said the Parmesan was not needed. I thought they were really dry and maybe had I used store-bought ravioli that were plumper with more cheese inside they'd be better. I just realized when I was linking to the recipe now that I forgot the step to spray them with cooking spray... maybe that would cut some of the dryness.

Here's the ones from good ole Hyvee. We miss them.


1 comment:

  1. Can you get your grocery store to special order items for you? Publix has been known to do that for folks here in Nashville. Love Publix! Thanks for the recipe ideas. I'm enjoying hearing your nightly experience and kid reviews!

    ReplyDelete