Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Cast of Eaters

It would probably help to know who I am cooking for. Or maybe not. Context is a good thing, right? Here we are:

1. Camden, age 19 months (as of this writing). Your typical toddler eater. Some meals, he SCARFS down what is put in front of him. Other times, not so much. He's been funny about pasta lately -- this could get him booted from the toddler club, right? He's hard to figure out. He's also started that "I insist on feeding myself" thing lately, so anything with a spoon is really messy. Sometimes, he's hard to please but after his predecessor, I don't stress too much about it. He'll eat when he puts his mind to it. He's been known to eat really spicy soups, artichoke leaves, and other random things.

Camden surprises us, "eating" artichoke leaves.



2. Genevieve (aka Gigi), age 7. So far our easiest in the eating department. Favorite meal is tacos. Likes crab legs. She likes a good bit of flavor and is open to trying new things... usually. When handed a plate with several items on it, she most typically will eat the unknown/untried item FIRST (I know, right?). That doesn't always mean she likes it, but she does a good effort at trying. And if she doesn't really like something, she can do a good job of eating it anyway (usually....). Conversely though, she does NOT like a lot of cheapie throw-together kid meals (that her brothers would live on, if allowed). Hates boxed Kraft mac. Not a chicken nugget fan. Or frozen pizza. Also, her Achilles heel is she's not a big milk drinker. She has to drink a small cup of milk every night to be done with dinner and that can be plenty of drama right there.

3. Owen, age 10.5. Well, where do we begin with him? He's the picky one. Those generic restaurant kids' menus are made for him. However, even then he usually doesn't like all that's offered! He has always been a feeding challenge and every day is something different with him. He has obvious texture issues and doesn't like most crockpot or casserole meals, where ingredients are visibly mixed. He'll do a good job of eating sides -- as long as they aren't mixed. He'll eat his fruits and steamed veggies, is a great milk drinker, but don't threaten him with a stir fry. The pendulum has swung over the years between "buck up and eat this" vs. "try this and go make yourself a PB sandwich (he doesn't eat jelly!) if you don't like it". It's a work in progress. He slowly has expanded his repertoire but I don't think he'll be sitting down with us for sushi anytime soon. His favorite at-home meal (and I use that term loosely -- it's from the freezer section) is boxed toasted ravioli, dipped in marinara sauce. Sadly for Owen, I have yet to find it in stores either here in Colorado or last year in Boston. It's been since Iowa since he's had it. One of these days soon, I keep promising to "make" it and bread them myself.

4. Stephen, age "big one coming up". He eats just about everything except pineapple, sauerkraut, and coconut and has developed a recent aversion to my love of cilantro. (He says I over-cilantro lots... I beg to differ). His palate has adjusted to my lack-of-salt cooking.

5. Me, also age "big one coming up". I grew up an extremely picky eater but somewhere in my late teens/early 20s realized things like sushi and fish and mussels and Indian food were the most delicious things on the planet. There aren't many things I don't like. I have been under severe sodium restriction since 2011 when I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease. I am supposed to keep my daily sodium to under 1,500mg. If I don't, I am virtually guaranteed a terrible ear/dizzy/balance/hearing day the next day. You have no idea how hard that is until you try it. It's not just about added salt to recipes... most convenience foods are out or really limited. A single slice of store brought, whole grain bread typically has 200mg/slice, and that's before you add its pair and put anything IN the sandwich. It's taken me a couple years to figure out good recipes that A) I can eat and  which B) the various pickies I live with will eat. And I still fall off the horse quite regularly, particularly when we go out to eat (ALL restaurants are really hard unless I eat a lettuce leaf with vinegar/oil). Sometimes I admittedly cook things I shouldn't -- that aforementioned skillet mac n cheese is a bad idea (though delicious). At home, cooking with cheese is usually a downfall. And sides of bread for soups.

1 comment: