Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Roasted Vegetable Quinoa

Today was one of those days where dinner was a bit of a scramble with Steve having a late dinner meeting and all three kids needing me at once for various things. I made this Roasted Vegetable Quinoa, primarily for myself though the kids had to try it. They then had hot dogs, fresh vegetables, and berries.



As predicted, they were not huge fans of the quinoa. Gigi was the most positive, saying "I could have eaten a bowl of it but I would prefer not to." Honestly? I wasn't a huge fan either. I saw early on it was going to be super bland as the recipe was written so I seasoned the heck out of it, adding fresh basil that was leftover from last week's recipes and then a bunch of pantry seasonings, even a cajun blend. No dice. I've made a half dozen Pinterest quinoa recipes over the last few months, and they've mostly been REALLY good. This one is edible but nothing to write home about. And I have a trough of it in the fridge to eat, since planning for portions is not my specialty.

And this cooking blog is off to a bang ;)

2 comments:

  1. I'd be really interested to hear about the Quinoa recipes that were really good. I haven't liked any that I've tried!
    - Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's one I've made several times, good for having in the fridge for lunch over numerous days: http://www.iheartnaptime.net/pomegranate-salad/ Too time consuming to shell out the pom seeds so I buy them pre-shelled in water at Costco!!

      And another one I've liked a lot: http://www.thegardengrazer.com/2013/02/quinoa-vegetable-salad-with-lemon-basil.html

      I will have to dig another out of my binder, can't find it online. It has spinach, quinoa, dried cherries (which I don't normally love but this went together really well)

      And finally this one was pretty good if I were to cut back on the kale by about 50% ;) http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/09/kale-edamame-and-quinoa-salad-with-lemon-vinaigrette/

      Delete