Saturday, January 25, 2014

Catching up: Rich and Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

Let's start out on a strong note, shall we? I got an immersion blender over the holidays so we have been VERY soup-heavy for the last few weeks, catching up on lost time. (Steve also surprised me with the Vitamix, which has mostly translated into daily breakfast smoothies... some days we've reverted to eating all liquids, like a 6-month old OR a 90-year-old, between these two gadgets). Our best new soup recipe so far, which was a great hit for All. Five. People. in this family (so not a common event): Rich and Creamy Tomato Basil Soup. You really can't go wrong when you put heavy cream AND a stick of butter in something, right? I doubled the recipe because otherwise it wasn't deep enough in my stockpot and the immersion blender was splattering too much. No big deal at all, we ended up with six or so generous single servings in the freezer. Oh and I used canned diced no-salt tomatoes, since fresh tomatoes aren't tasting great anyway at this time of year. I think one of the cans was stewed with no-salt seasonings but the rest were "plain" in water. Tomato juice is next-to impossible to find with respectibly low sodium for my ear issues... I went with the lo-so V8 instead of plain tomato juice  but I think the added veg's and spice gave it some decent kick. I realized later, I could have whipped out the new Vitamix to make my own tomato juice (albeit from off-off season tomatoes). Next time.

Served with provolone grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato slices and leftover fresh basil inside.

All in all, five stars all the way around.

Gigi's 2 cents:

Yum. The tomato soup was good because it had some flavor and it was very tomato-y.
 


Owen's 2 cents:
All in all, a good meal. It went well with crackers. It could've used a tiny bit more spice, but it was definitely something I would have again.


People, this is HUGE. I am glad I have it from him in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment