Saturday, January 25, 2014

Catching up: Guest chef -- Lobster Ravioli

Although I do the lion's share of daily meal prep around here, Steve likes to take over the kitchen every now and again, often for special occasions. His big thing is he "does" our Thanksgiving meal from start to finish every year. He got a pasta maker over the holidays (we were big into kitchen gadgets this year) so on New Year's Day, he spent quite a few hours in the kitchen making some awesome ravioli. He made a 3 (4?) cheese filling base for all of us, and added steamed lobster for mine and his. I don't have his base recipe handy but it was AMAZING. The sauce was a combination of a marinara and a cream sauce that included some pesto I'd made previously in the Vitamix.





Everyone really liked it, though I will say it was waaaay too labor intensive for a typical everyday meal. I'm hoping the pasta maker will be a bit quicker to use for say, fettuccine, or something a bit less crazy. Worth the long prep though (especially when it wasn't me making it!)

Gigi's 2 cents:

 It was good because it had tons of flavor and it had the right kind of sauce and it had cheese on top.

Owen's 2 cents:

Really good. Was a bit dry around edges but other than that, amazing.
 

2 comments:

  1. Tell me more about these frozen cheese ravioli that you once spoke of.... maybe that would be a good option to try at our house. Do you remember the brand? Are they in the freezer section? THANKS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I bet you mean the toasted kind of ravioli I mentioned in the intro, not the regular boiling kind, right? They were in in the freezer section at Hyvee, toasted breaded frozen ravioli. Pop them in the oven at a high temp for like 10 mins and DONE - easy, delicous, crappy kid food :) Owen's absolute favorite. Dipped in marinara sauce. No brand -- I believe it was the generic Hyvee stuff!!

    ReplyDelete