Saturday, January 25, 2014

Catching up: Baked Fish Sticks

So the kids love boxed crappy fish sticks and Genevieve has been after me to make some "from homemade." I tried my hand at this very easy Baked Fish Sticks recipe.I omitted the salt and added some more garlic powder and italian seasoning blend.

Here's what it looked like:

What you are looking at: I had bought a bag of previously frozen cod for the sticks. The bag was opaque, and after defrosting it, I opened it that night and found WAY less fish in there than I had expected. There wasn't enough for the whole family, so I had to supplement with the crappy boxed stuff I still had in the freezer. That's what's on the bottom pan.

It will not surprise anyone with kids to know that although my kids ate both, they strongly preferred the box crap. Actually, I don't think Camden ate either -- he was on a food strike that night and I think stuck to a few bites of whatever sides we had. Steve and I thought the homemade were way better than the boxed (I can't eat the boxed anymore due to the sodium.... but they smelled as gross as I remember!).

Gigi's 2 cents:

OK. They more tasted like fish. They’re nothing compared to the boxed kind.

Owen's 2 cents:
OK. They were a bit too fishy, but still OK. I preferred the boxed kind.

1 comment:

  1. Fish Sticks are one of our favorites around here. Though lately I have been making them in patties and having imitation filet-o-fish sandwiches. That is definitely a favorite. I use the recipe from my Sesame Street cookbook.

    1/3 c tartar sauce (I use mayo as a substitute, as suggested in the recipe, but I usually add a little sweet relish)
    1/4 c low-fat plain yogurt (usually we have vanilla on hand and I use that)
    1/4 tsp salt
    3/4 c dried breadcrumbs (I usually have Italian on hand)
    1 lb cod filets

    1. Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

    2. Stir tartar sauce, yogurt and salt together in a large bowl. Spoon half the mixture into a small bowl to use as dip.

    3. Spread breadcrumbs on a large plate.

    4. Cut the fish crosswise into 1/2" wide sticks. Add the fish sticks to the yogurt mixture and stir gently to coat. Dip the fish sticks in the breadcrumbs one at a time and turn them over until they are coated on all sides.

    5. Place the fish sticks on the prepared baking sheet and bake until opaque, about 15 min.

    ReplyDelete