Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Paiche... a new kind of fish!

So I was at Whole Foods the other day, getting the ground lamb for the Lamb Meatballs I made last night. I stopped at the fish counter on a whim, and decided to try a new (to us) fish -- Paiche. Google tells me it is from the Amazon and the only U.S. retailer that sells it is Whole Foods. I was going to get some sea bass, but this was half the cost and the lady at the counter said it is very similar in taste and texture.

I pulled up some paiche recipes online, of which there are not a ton because it is relatively "new" to the U.S. I ended up combining two different recipes, this one and this one, taking elements from each.

I tossed the cherry tomatoes in olive oil, pepper, and my fake salt. I had leftover fresh thyme which I laid in bunches over the tomatoes. I brushed the paiche fillet with a bit of olive oil, then lime juice. Then I (heavily) sprinkled chili pepper on the fish, both sides, along with a bit of pepper and fake salt. Baked for 25 mins at 400, then sprinkled with cut-up fresh mint.

Here's what it looked like before going in the oven:


And here it was after baking:


The verdict... I really, really liked it. Will definitely be buying the fish again. Steve liked it as well, but thought I over-spiced it a bit with the chili pepper (I might be a bit guilty of this sometimes, compensating for no salt!). But he liked the fish itself. Genevieve really liked it too. The boys tried it; Owen was NOT a fan, and Camden was just not eating tonight after a huge lunch. Next time I think I'll skip the chili pepper so we can taste the real flavor of the fish a bit more. The texture was GREAT -- really moist and tender, not dry or "fishy" at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment