Monday, April 21, 2014

Mandarin Orange Hot Wings

Tonight we tried a recipe from my favorite low-sodium blog. Mandarin Orange Hot Wings:


I happened to have the Chili 300 seasoning from Penzy's that she mentioned for the rub, and although it was spicy it worked out perfectly. Steve and I both really liked the wings (drummettes, actually, that I used). The sauce definitely pushes the envelope for his Atkins diet with the sugar content, but I think it was worth the push, he agreed. This was off the spice-meter for the kids, but next time I might try to make a few skipping the spicy rub and just using the sweet sauce -- I bet Genevieve at minimum would eat them that way. The kids made a meal out of the rerun of their favorite Skillet Mac n Cheese and the broccoli.

I think when I make this again, I'll use regular chicken legs/drumsticks, and not the drummettes. These needed a bit higher meat-to-sauce ratio, but again they were delicious. Using just drummettes (or presumably, wings), the bake time on this recipe is a bit long. I'd shave 15 mins off for the smaller pieces of meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment