Monday, July 7, 2014

Baked Tempura Vegetables

Tonight I made Baked Tempura Vegetables to go on the side of some rather unremarkable salmon. The vegetables totally stole the show (confession: I didn't even eat most of my salmon because the veg's were that good).



I made a few alterations to the recipe. First of all, the blogger who created the recipe must be feeding an army. I got about halfway through chopping the fresh veg's per the recipe and could see it was waaaaay too much for us (us, being Steve and me, and Gigi eating a ton of the broccoli, and the boys maybe tasting it). As it was, I filled two 9x13 pans and that was after stopping halfway through all the chopping. Also, I am not sure what "vegetable seasoning" is -- sounds pretty generic. Per google, I randomly mixed garlic powder, dried minced onion, onion powder, and my fake salt. Finally, the baking time ran a bit longer than what the recipe indicated. All that aside, this was a fabulous substitute for the "real" tempura veg's we order with sushi. Definitely a keeper! You only need the tiniest bit of lo-so soy sauce for dipping... the vegetables still had a ton of flavor and weren't dry at all. Hoping the leftovers re-heat well for tomorrow's lunch. I'm not even going to pretend to eat the salmon.

No comments:

Post a Comment