Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Homemade Sloppy Joe's and the Corn on the Cobb trick

I don't think I've had Sloppy Joe's in over 15 years. And certainly never made it "from scratch". It was always with the canned sauce, back in the day. I can't eat that canned stuff anymore due to the sodium. I saw some recipes for it floating around on Pinterest and got a hankering for it... so I tried this one:


Bottom line... Steve and I really liked it. Even better than the canned junk! (And that was with him eating his in a low-carb wrap instead of a bun, which takes some of the fun out of the sloppy but with some melted cheese he enjoyed it). We struck out with all three kids, though. Genevieve was disgusted by the sight of the diced green pepper -- which I went light on. Owen stayed true to form -- he of the anti-condiment attitude -- and since ketchup is the sauce base (which he didn't even know) he was really grossed out by it. Camden once again ate half the fridge at lunch but was not a big dinner eater, even with his sloppy joe "deconstructed" with a spoon for the meat.

Oh and the corn -- I tried the Pinterest corn trick for the first time. Definitely interesting. Much easier than hand buttering it. A whole stick in the pot seemed excessive though, especially since the finished corn barely had a butter flavor (maybe I used too much water? Might try again with less water.)

No comments:

Post a Comment