Thursday, May 15, 2014

Felafel FAIL

Let's just say it's a good thing that last night's rosemary lamb turned out so good because it meant we had something to eat for dinner tonight. Thank you, repurposed leftovers.

So I mentioned that in preparation for tonight, I had already made tzatziki sauce:






That turned out really good actually. Steve didn't love-love it but I thought it was great.

Then this morning, Camden helped me make homemade hummus (why go to all the trouble for homemade versions of these things? I can't find any premade in stores that is low enough in sodium, unfortunately). Here was the hummus, before blending:





And my happy helper, who decided that hummus is the best thing ever:







The hummus, unlike the falafel (foreshadowing) was awesome -- smooth and silky as whipped butter and full of flavor. We made a huge amount accidentally, so it was a great lunch with cucumbers.

Then, dinner. I attempted this felafel recipe and I don't understand what went wrong -- I followed her recipe to a "T". What's even more surprising is, I love that blogger, she's a great low sodium guru, and I've used many of her other recipes with great success. Something did not go well this time. Here were my sad little felafels halfway through baking, as I attempted to flip them:


And it only got worse, after they were done baking:





It's like they just... melted.

So getting back to the lamb leftovers... it was quite fortuitous that we had so many lamb leftovers from last night, because I sliced it thinly, and swapped it in place of the felafels, making some really good lettuce wraps along with the hummus and tzatziki sauce:




1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. Thanks for keeping it real. But the resulting meal from that fail still looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete